CONDUCTING MASTER CLASS TRACK
Interested in honing your conducting skills under the tutelage of a seasoned conductor? This optional track may be perfect for you!
Participants in the Conducting Master Class Track attend conducting classes with conference headliner Christopher Aspaas on Thursday and then rejoin the rest of the conference for the regularly scheduled interest sessions on Friday and Saturday. Any person attending the conference can apply for one of approximately 10 spots in this track.
2017 Voices United Conducting Seminar
Conducting Seminar Information Form
Four, one-hour long sessions covering topics of choral conducting, running concurrently with the Thursday Voices United Conference schedule.
- New teachers and young professionals needing to refine and expand their gestural vocabulary.
- College students who have completed their curriculum’s conducting sequence and who desire an additional perspective.
- Active conductors with schools, houses of worship, and community choirs seeking local and affordable sessions to refresh and re-inform the manner in which they communicate with gesture in rehearsals and performances.
- Limited to 10 participants.
Dr. Christopher Aspaas, Director of Choral Activities and Associate Professor of Music at Texas Christian University. For more information, please see his bio at http://acdavoicesunited.weebly.com/christopher-aspaas.html
Conducting Seminar Application
The conference staff urges you to complete the Summer Conference Registration and Conducting Seminar Application at your earliest convenience.
Cost of the Conducting Seminar
There is no additional cost for the Conducting Seminar! The registration fee for the Voices United Summer Conference includes both the Seminar sessions and the rest of the Conference. However, interested participants in the Conducting Seminar should know that they must be members of ACDA with an active or student Membership Account Number in order to register for the Summer Conference.
- If not already a member, join ACDA.
- Complete the Summer Conference Registration using your ACDA Membership Account number.
- Forward via email the confirmation of your completed and paid conference registration, to session coordinator Dr. Shelbie Wahl-Fouts. FoutsSL@hollins.edu
- Complete the online Conducting Seminar Application by clicking the application link below.
- Members of the Conference Planning Team will review all applications and select participants with the goal of creating a cohort with a variety of backgrounds who fit the attributes described on the information form. All applications will be contacted with the final list of participants.
Thursday August 3, 2017
Session I 9:30-10:30 AM
Topic: Nuts and Bolts
- Body mechanics and physics
- Backgrounds and different theories of movement (Laban, Saito, etc.)
Session II 10:45-11:45 AM
Topic: Using Both Hands, Separately and Complementarily
- Left hand cues, cut-offs, and breaths
- Employing LH to communicate structure
- “Ambidextrous” conducting, separating LH from RH
Lunch available at the GMU Food Court
Session III 12:45-1:45 PM
Topic: Knowing the Score
- Prioritization and Hierarchy
- Making decisions
Session IV 2:00-3:00 PM
Topic: The Art and Artistry of Conducting
- Moving from the Technical to the Artistic in gesture
Conductors Chorus Rehearsal 7:00-9:00 PM
Participate in rehearsal and observe Dr. Aspaas on the podium, as he leads the Conductors Chorus.
Friday August 4, 2017
Conducting Masterclass with Dr. Chris Aspaas 4:00-5:00 PM
All participants of the Conducting Seminar will observe and sing in the ensemble for the masterclass. Three participants will be selected to conduct works drawn from the Voices United Conductors Chorus packet and receive feedback from Dr. Aspaas.
- Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal – Parker/Shaw, arr.
- Hallelujah, Amen from Judas Maccabeus – Handel
- Flight Song – Kim André Arnesen
- Long Walk to Freedom – Chris Aspaas